Thursday, September 11, 2008

Falling For The Season...




























Well, I have accepted the fact that summer vacation is over and that the summer season will be slowly making its exit from our lives... I know for many reasons that this process has already begun... one being that the sky in getting darker earlier in the evening, lending way to earlier bed times, and cooler nights, both of which are welcome changes.  Another reason I know that the seasons are changing  is that there are already a plethora of both Fall inspired and Halloween decorations adorning the shelves of some of my favorite stores... As much as this might seem like an annoyance, this rush into holiday season, it is as much a time of wonderment and great excitement for me!  As much as I love the heat of summer, my favorite time of the year in between now and Christmas.  There is nothing like the fall season to completely inspire me both within my home and within my daily life like the momentous build up to the holiday season.  Last weekend I got up into the rafters in the garage and retrieved boxes that contain some of my most loved possessions!  Each year getting down these boxes of decorations is like a holiday in itself... I love looking back through them and being happily surprised with little things that I had forgotten where there! ( I have some really great stuff!) Next comes the decorating... my favorite... I have already started phasing some things into the living room area as well as the boys bedrooms... Sebastian's summer sheet set,(blue tie-die pattern) have been replaced with a back to school color palate; primary colored transportation... cars, trains etc...) Week by week, pieces will be added until mid-October when every room in our home will be touched with a little piece of the season!  I love that at age four this is something that Sebastian has come to both expect and recognize in our home!  I make a big deal out of every holiday throughout the year, both the little ones as well as the big ones... I think that it is such a great opportunity to have excitement and anticipation in your home and in the heart of your little one.  I grew up in a home that was much the same; being that each season, we knew that our mom would pull down the box of decorations and that we would be inspired by the beauty and the nature that surrounded us.  My mom still displays the same holiday decorations in her home now that she did when we were children... I love that, and I hope to be able to do the same for my boys!  Here's to making childhood a magical experience, to ensuring that you will create some of the best memories that your children will have, and to fully embracing the wonderment of the season...

No comments: