Friday, December 25, 2009

Love Always, Santa Claus

Dearest Sebastian and Brooklyn,


I write to you tonight to remind you of exactly what it is that Christmas is truly about. I want to reveal a secret to the both of you. A secret that you might not have realized existed, but one that has in fact been realized and has been living within both of your hearts throughout this past year. The secret of the real gift of Christmas...


Firstly, I want to thank you and let you know how much I appreciate you receiving my elf Fisbee so warmly into your home. The both of you watched out for him from afar; following all of my rules, never touching him but sharing trusted information with him and following him up, down and all around the house. Fisbee thoroughly enjoyed his time with your family and looks greatly forward to returning to you soon after next Thanksgiving...


Through my eyes, this past year was quite different from the years past. There were many changes made to your lives, and I am so proud of the way that you both have dealt with and accepted the change.  I see that you have moved houses, your address has changed and the two of you share a bedroom now. What a wonderful thing for two brothers to share. Your bedroom yes, but also the love and warmth between those four walls... From the moment you awake in the morning, to the moments that you drift into sleep at night. I have heard you nightly whispers. Your giggles and your prayers. All has been heard, all will come to fruition. 


Sebastian, I notice that this year, you are both writing and reading on your own. I have enjoyed your letters that you have written to me and I must tell you that your penmen ship is just beautiful. I especially love the way that you always choose to use a capital "A" as opposed to a lower case "a" and the way that you fill your O's with little happy faces. You became a Kindergartner this past Fall and have excelled in school. You are at the top of your class and have made some wonderful friends at your new school. I see how helpful you are to those who surround you, your sweetness permeates your surroundings. I could not be more proud of the young man you are becoming. I also took notice that you removed the training wheels from the bike that I brought you last year. You ride it wonderfully, taking caution to avoid danger but riding fast enough to enjoy the wind in your face... Go ahead and enjoy it my boy. 


I have watched you embrace your role as a big brother and be wonderful to Brooklyn. You are patient and kind... You protect him and encourage him. You teach him how to be a better child, each and every day, in the smallest things that you do. He wants to be just like you when he gets older, he told me so... 
    
 This last bit of change, I can just hardly believe. My friend, the tooth fairy told me that you lost your first tooth this past month. Its hard to believe that the time has come, when your teeth are falling out and being replaced with larger,stronger teeth that will last you the rest of your life. Seems like just yesterday you were celebrating your first Christmas with just that one small tooth in your mouth. First tooth to come in and now the first to go. Someone once told me that the only sure thing in ones life is that things will change. Embrace it. Learn to dance in the face of adversity and challenge. Grow stronger in newness and relish in the opportunity for growth. I can only imagine the change that will come before I write to you again...
    
Brooklyn. My, oh my. What a difference a year has made in your  life. Staying on the topic of change and growth, what had not changed for you sweet boy? This time last year you had just begun using your little legs to walk freely. Now, you are a two year old ball of energy. A force to be reckoned with, slowing occasionally but never stopping. You have an unparalleled zest for life. You are a breath of fresh air to your loving family each and every day. You own a smile that could light up the darkest of days and a personality and a heart of pure gold. I must say, you have a curiosity unlike many that I have seen before. You like to know just how things work, and why. You don't want to be left out of anything, you would rather be right there in the midst of it... I hear you mother call you her "little big boy" and I know exactly what she is talking about. You have an amazing older brother to keep up with and understandably, you want to be just like him. Although,I also have enjoyed seeing you in the moments where you cant help but act your age. The moments where you fall asleep in your fathers arms and play peek a boo with you mother, laughing that precious belly laugh. These are the moments where the sweetness of you still being a baby shine though. Stay little for as long and you possibly can, you have the rest of your life to be big... Thank you for being such a good boy for your parents, I know how very much they appreciate it. Continue smiling and laughing. Light up someone's day every single day. Live in the moment.  Act freely upon your opportunity to make your life exactly what you want it to be. Love openly and honestly.  Protect what you know to be true and real. Lastly sweet child...Cherish your family, for they are the only one that you have...
     
May you both know how very loved you are and that the true gift of Christmas is not one that can be bought or wrapped up into a beautiful package. The true gift of Christmas resides within the life that we live both day in and day out. The gift that we have been given is in the opportunity to live fearlessly and to work tirelessly in order to obtain our wildest of dreams. The gift is in a friendship, or in kindness to your neighbor. The true gift is in a thoughtful gesture or a loving embrace. You two boys are the gift... Someone once said that Life is the ultimate gift, and  that is why it is called the present. Keep that with you throughout the next year, let it fill your heart and expand you mind...


Thank you for the lovely cookies and milk... They were delicious. Thank you also for the carrots and the reindeer feed that you sprinkled about for my team, they really enjoyed the treat.
I wish for you both this year,the very Merriest Christmas possible... May you enjoy unwrapping your gifts and playing with your toys... Although, please remember this....

    

 The greatest gift that you have both been given is each other.  Brotherhood is no doubt the greatest gift of all. The ability to have another person in your life to share your greatest moments as well as greatest hardships.  An equal, a confidant, a partner in all that you do. Your flesh and blood, your forever friend...your brother.  Take care of one another and love each other the way only brothers can.  

Merry Christmas to two of the finest boys I know...

Love Always, Santa Claus

2 comments:

tanya said...

brought tears to my eyes. :)

LethargicLass said...

I just found your blog, and I have to say that that letter was so beautiful... I hope the boys treasure it forever.