Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Freedom




















Today I retired Brooklyn's highchair.... He of course is thrilled to be sitting atop the Kaboost that his brother has used throughout the past year... Meanwhile, Sebastian is equally thrilled to be sitting in a "real" chair, no attachments, no seat belts... Legs swinging, feet dangling...freedom.
I on the other hand... not so thrilled.  I couldn't help but think that this is a monumental step into toddler hood for my  baby boy... I remember shopping for this chair as if it were yesterday... Reading reviews posted to online forums, after all, various precautions had to be taken to insure that our child was dining as comfortably and as cutely as possible! I must say that Brooklyn has eaten many a good meal in that little padded chair... First foods, right on through to steak and potatoes, that boy sure does love to eat!  I will miss the days of strapping him in and enjoying his company in the kitchen while I prepared dinner for the rest of our family... I will miss reclining him within its supported seat and watching him play with his feet, legs straight up into the air... I will miss his tiny hands slapping its shiny surface and kicking his legs excitedly for more...  

Another right of passage...
First the highchair...
Then the crib...
One thing after another...
I know how this works, I've been here before...
I'm not ready for my baby to be a big boy yet...
I don't think that my heart can stand a second transition...

No comments: