Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanks Given

I used the Thanksgiving holiday this year as an opportunity to give thanks to the people that make my life worth living, each and everyday... The people who have helped to make me who I am, day in and day out, the loves of my life, my family, tried and true...  Thanks was given in the food that I prepared, intention and care invested... My first Thanksgiving meal, cooked for the most gracious of guests... Although I had wished that there were some additional 15 or more guests seated that afternoon, my entire family lives each day in my heart... and though you are scattered across this great country...you were all there in my mind... and you loved my meal.
I set a special 
table for 
Sebastian this year... Our dining room table is quite small, yes, but there was more to it than that.       ( Seeing that Brooklyn is still eating from his high chair, I could not involve him in this special seating section, but hope to include him next year. ) I set this table for my son, so that again I could remind him of how very special he is.... I try to take any given opportunity to remind Sebastian of what a blessing he is not only to his father and I but to his entire family.  I try to take the ordinary and make it special, for him, and in turn for myself... I tried to decorate his table with items of importance.  Four small pumpkins, one to represent each of his Thanksgivings celebrated with us... Two red daises that he had picked the day before and given to me...I added these to remind him of how thankful I am for his sweetness and generosity.  A piece of our wedding china, to represent his parents union, our love for one another and for he and his brother as well.  His own place card, because at age four he just loves seeing his name in print, no matter what it is written on... And a seat right next to me, so that I could hold his hand during prayer and watch him closely as he enjoyed his momma's meal...

A huge amount of thanks to Papa, the foundation of our family, my husband and the father of our beautiful sons... The debt of gratitude that I owe to this man for providing me with the opportunity to stay home and raise our boys is more than I would ever hope to express through words. Only though my actions, through being the best mother that I can possibly be, can I thank Anthony for this opportunity.... 

Thanks be to Brooklyn, the constant ray of light in our lives... The happiest little guy, who loves turkey by the way...


This picture warms my heart.
Thanks to my beautiful mother and father in-law.  I love these two as if they had always been a part of my life, I can't imagine it any other way... In the early months of this year, my father in-law suffered a heart attack that resulted in an open heart surgery, quadruple bypass, and harvesting of arteries throughout his body... Within those days of unknown outcome, I remember feeling as if I had not had enough time with him, not enough real time with him.  I realized that there was so much that I needed to tell him, so much that I wanted him to know.  For instance, that I loved him.  Why is it that such honesty is born of such tragedy.   I took those days with him prior to his surgery and throughout the months of recovery that followed, to tell him and show him that I loved him, a lot.  I am so thankful for my mother in law,her kindness and her heartfelt love and admiration for myself and our children.. She is and always has been in my corner... A friend,an ally, a mother.

 I would remake each and every one of the side dishes, cook another turkey, do whatever need be, just to have the opportunity to take this picture again and again.  My father at his finest... in his element, a grandfather, a participant... My father.  Big Grandpa. I'm grateful for our journey. Grateful for his willingness to contribute and live this day with us.  Grateful that he has a relationship with my children, that I as a child never had with him. I'm grateful for his appreciation. Grateful that I could fill his belly with a warm, healthy meal.  Grateful to know that for an entire day  he was able to feel loved.  Thankful, because that in itself is more than I could have asked for....

Thank you.
Near or far.
Thank you.
Thank you for participating and contributing to the beauty of my life...

1 comment:

Nancee said...

Love your blog. It has lots of ideas. I can use on my Grandson. Only have to wait like 2-3 years. He is only 3 months now.