Sunday, August 17, 2008

Every Day Mother

Mother's Day has both come and gone this year, and I have been thinking  for months now about what it is that I wanted to post in mention of this great holiday... I think I'm ready now, so here it goes...

My children are phenomenal,God bless them for exactly who they are.  I, like many other mothers swear that my children are special;unique, in a way that only we, with our hearts swollen can detect...

 I look at each of my sons and try to imagine the life that they have before them.... The years of school; years full of experiences that will help shape them into the men they will one day become... The friendships that will hopefully serve them throughout their lives and guide them on their paths, far, far into their adulthood... Each, receiving their first taste of love, and the sour bitterness of first heartbreak... Their personal triumphs and victories, as well as the acceptance of disappointment throughout...  
What will matter then... When my babies are grown, off on their own in the world?  Will they look back longingly and remember how their Momma loved them so? Will they have it etched deeply in their memory that I would do anything to insure their happiness, their success?Anything, to try to relay the feelings of love that consume me on a daily basis... Will they tell their own babies each night that they are immensely loved? I would like to think so...  I don't expect that Sebastian will remember me slipping handwritten notes into this lunch bag each day, or that Brooklyn will be able to recall me kissing the bottoms of his feet each night after his bath... But I do hope that my darling boys will remember this...

A mother could not love anyone more than I love the both of you... You have solidified my place in this world, my destiny, my journey... Thank you  both  for allowing me the opportunity to flex my core being and to mother you, day in and day out.  Thank you  for the chance to share each morning and each night with you, kisses and hugs a plenty.   Thank you for proving to me that I can persevere through the worst pain I have ever felt, both physical and emotional, and be stronger and more grateful because of it...  Thank you for teaching me to be present in the smallest of moments that we share ... To listen even when you are speaking in a whisper, to hold you in my arms, every chance that I get.  Thank you for forcing my mind into a realm of possibility otherwise untapped and for opening my eyes to life in all of its beautiful glory...  Thank you for loving me for exactly who I am, for accepting all parts of me and glorifying the most inconspicuous of beauties...  Thank you for proving to me that I can in fact survive with my heart living outside of my chest and for reminding me that today and every day, is my day to be be with you; my mothers day... I love you a ridiculous amount, and I'll be with you both,each and every day of your lives... 

No comments: